Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pet Sounds

I'm just going to come out and say this: I love the Beach Boys! I remember being deeply obsessed with the song Kokomo in grade 4, when everyone else was obsessing over...The Spice Girls? I'm not sure, I was in my own world of sixties music and tie dyed shorts.

Pet Sounds keeps winning Best Albums of Ever titles, and it's no wonder. It's the best combination of sad yet hopeful lyrics with happy music, and I always get this weird mixture of  happiness and longing when I listen to it. It's one of those albums where all the songs flow together, and I still can't pick out a favourite. The entire album is amazing.

The Beatles' album, Rubber Soul, had a great influence on Brian Wilson. Rubber Soul also flows together really well, and Brian Wilson wanted to write an album that had the same flow, with all of the songs being awesome. He accomplished that with Pet Sounds, which in turn influenced The Beatles again with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Thanks, Wikipedia!

If I really had to pick a favourite, it would be this song:


I've said that I want all songs ever to sound like this album, and I'm only partially kidding. I had tears in my eyes when I found out that J Dilla put out an album called "Pet Sounds: In the Key of Dee". Here's my favourite song, redone by J Dilla:


This album for me is one of those things that you love so much, that you want to keep listening to it/eating it/wearing it all the time but fear that you'll eventually get sick of it and swear off of it forever. Like how I swore off my rad tie dyed shorts (okay, I wore them out).

Have you been obsessing over anything as of late? What do you think of this album?

No comments:

Post a Comment